Brew are expanding
After a change in administration at the turn of last year we have been steadily growing in stature and need to bolster our development team in order to service new business for a combination of both new and existing clients.
We are looking for web developers who are self-motivated and passionate about solving problems with code. Our team continually strive to be the best at what they do and enjoy dedicating themselves to producing exceptional work.
Salary guide: between £25-35,000 p.a. + benefits, though we are willing to be flexible dependent upon experience.
Working at Brew
We are not your average web development team. Our time is expensive because we actively avoid rolling out the same solutions again and again. We like to work as a brain rather than a machine. This means that we have to be highly collaborative to make sure we leverage the best creative ideas. At the same time we need to have rigorous processes in place to ensure that the solutions we deliver and the way we deliver them always exceed expectations.
As you can probably imagine, maintaining a high level of expertise across: strategy, creativity, technical excellence and accountability, requires a very tight knit team who get a kick out of working together and what they produce. This is why our culture is so important to us - it's what defines our approach to everything and it's also the reason our clients come back to work with us time and time again.
Respect and trust for each other is paramount to how we work - if we want to be the best at what we do, we need to be interdependent and supportive in every way. We put a lot of time and effort into creating a great environment in which we can thrive - physically in terms of our office space but also in how we organise ourselves. We enjoy a flexible attitude to work whereby you don’t always have to be in the office 9-5, but our office is a lovely place to be with lots of chill-out areas, a pool table and an arcade machine that we renovated ourselves, with tea/coffee/beer on an intravenous drip (our name isn't an accident). We are highly committed to developing our people but we also put emphasis on self-improvement and make time and resources available for our staff to grow independently.
If you were to join us we'd want you to help us shape what we are from day one.
More about who we're looking for..
These are new roles, created on the back of a very successful year at Brew. We have come under new ownership, expanded our client portfolio and increased remits with existing clients. 2017 is already very busy and exciting, so we're on a mission to find the next Brewers.
We're looking for developers who have practical experience circa 3+ years, with good communication skills and a passion for being creative with computers and web-based technology. Ideally you will have some form of formal education in computer science - but this isn't necessarily essential. Please tell us which programming languages you have the most experience with and which frameworks you enjoy working with the most. We pick technology at the start of each new project based upon what is the best fit and we love to use new languages/frameworks where we can as appropriate.
As a developer at Brew you will work closely with our design and build team, helping with all aspects of the web development life-cycle through planning, design, build and ongoing support. So it’s definitely a good thing if you enjoy getting involved with a bit of everything whilst maintaining programming as your day to day specialism.
We currently focus on using the following technology so knowledge of these would be ideal:
- Linux / Apache / NGINX / Passenger
- Amazon Web Services / Digital Ocean
- OO PHP / Ruby & MySQL
Extra points if you have any familiarity with:
- SilverStripe / Laravel / Symfony / Slim / AngularJS / React / VueJS
- Source control using Git
- Development using Docker
- Unit testing
- Continuous Integration (automated build, test & deployment)
- Web accessibility & UX best practice
- Familiarity with the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, etc)
The salary for this role is competitive but depends on experience (£25-35k as an initial guide). We have an abundance of perks and we're growing these all the time depending on what the team find most beneficial:
- Holidays - we operate a take what you need policy. Provided you take the minimum statutory of 4 weeks.
- Flexible working - whatever that means to you. Provided the team can accommodate it we're open to what you need… Working from home on a Thursday, early start for an early finish... Need to bring your dog in... No problem.
- Professional development - A day a month for personal development, £1,000+ personal annual allowance for conferences and training as well as subscriptions to any online training course you might need
- Choice regarding your hardware/software setup - tell us what your preference is.
- Regular social events on the company - drinking yes, but we also like to have new and diverse adventures too
- Little extras - we have lots of these.. like team cakes / biscuits, your birthday off, etc..
Remember that experience is not necessarily as important as the right attitude in conjunction with commitment and enthusiasm. If you don’t have everything we’re looking for but are willing to learn then please don’t hesitate to apply.